Chain drives are used in the form of roller chains, drive chains, conveyor chains and load chains. The advantages of chain drives include, but are not limited to, positive-locking, non-slip power transmission, a constant transmission ratio and transmission without pre-stressing force.
An overview of the advantages of chain drives
- Positively-locked, non-slip power Transmission
- Constant transmission ratios with chain drives, because of non-slip transmission.
- A transmission ratio of up to 4:1 per speed step is common for chain drives (the maximum transmission ratio of 7:1 should not be exceeded).
- Power transmission without pre-stressing force and without additional load on the bearing.
- The lowest of circumferential speeds can be achieved with ease.
- Large, customisable centre distances can be created in a very cost-effective way. Normal centre distances are 30 to 60 times the pitch p of the chain.
- Unlike with gear pairs, the sense of rotation remains the same when chain drives with two sprockets are used. Multiple shaft drives, whether they have the same or opposite directions of movement, can be accomplished efficiently and with ease.
- High circumferential speeds are possible. Chain speeds of 20 m/s and above can be achieved.
- Resistant to dirt and lack of maintenance.
- Can be used at high temperatures.
- The drive is flexible owing to lubrication of the chain links and the spreading of the load over several teeth and links that are in use. Flexible couplings are usually unnecessary!
- An efficiency factor of up to 98% can be achieved.
Roller chains have become the most important of all chain types.
Roller chains are available with pitches of 6mm to 3", thereby covering a very wide scope of application.
Using a simplex chain with 3" pitch, a performance of 225 kW can be transmitted!
Power Transmission Service Centre
At our Power Transmission Service Centre, we make ready to use finishings and drive engineering products according to your needs.
Iwis is a manufacturer of chain drives
For over 90 years, Iwis has supplied world renowned high-performance chains and drive systems.
Rexnord is a manufacturer of chain drives
For over a century, Rexnord has been a preferred supplier of products for drive engineering (e.g. couplings, chains and transmissions), aerospace and special industrial applications.